The Technology Commercialization Office functions as a “cradle to grave” manager for OSU inventions. We are responsible for handling all patent and licensing activities and distribution of royalties and payments received related to industrial partnerships.
Upon disclosure of a technology to our office, we assess its patentability and commercial potential by evaluating the technology from a business perspective, looking at the prior literature to determine if patent rights exist, and performing a preliminary search for potential commercial partners. We are responsible for working with patent counsel for all the filings and prosecution of the patent application.
We market the invention, seeking industrial partners for further development and commercialization of the technology. This may be in the form of an outright license, sponsored research agreement, or in some cases, formation of a spin-off company.
- foster an entrepreneurial culture, university wide
- catalyze faculty, staff and student inventions
- maximize the value of Ohio State developments
- accelerate transition of new developments into products, services, and new or expanded jobs
Our Service Offerings to OSU Inventors and Entrepreneurs
Cultivate partnerships and inventions
- CDAs and MTAs — guidance, negotiation, and execution
- Consulting arrangements — guidance and language assistance
- Corporate Sponsored Research — intellectual property and structure advice
- Invention capture and refinement — training and facilitation
Establish and protect market differentiation
- Value propositions — cultivate and articulate
- Intellectual property positions — guide and develop
- Financial models — commission or complete
- Market research — commission or conduct
Establish commercialization pathways
- Marketing — develop strategies and collateral
- Partners — identify and qualify
- Licenses — develop and negotiate
- Deals — nurture, finalize and monitor