An OSU Human Nutrition researcher has formulated a nutritional supplement to slow age-related loss of eye function such as macular degeneration and cataracts. The supplement pill’s formulation is superior to the market’s most popular eye health supplement because it contains a form of nutrients that have greater bioactivity than those included in the market-leading eye health product.
The National Eye Institute within the National Institutes of Health recommends that people at high risk for developing advanced age-related macular degeneration should consider taking a supplement that was tested in the highly regarded Age-Related Eye Disease Study (AREDS). OSU’s Eye Health Supplement improves the AREDS supplement through the inclusion of two additional nutrients and the incorporation of special preparations of nutrients designed to improve bioactivity of the supplement.
The proprietary formula behind OSU’s Eye Health Supplement combines eight active ingredients to improve upon the AREDS formulation. The Eye Health Supplement could provide a licensee with a distinct competitive advantage based on the supplement’s superior formulation and improved nutrient bioactivity.
- People over age 60: these individuals have a greater risk for developing macular degeneration and cataracts
- 30% of people over age 75 have macular degeneration
- Risk factors for age-related macular degeneration include: smoking, obesity, family history
- Improves upon the AREDS supplement
- Includes two additional nutrients not present in the market-leading eye health supplement
- Formulated with nutrients specially prepared to increase bioactivity